Those who prepare income tax returns — CPAs, tax attorneys, Enrolled Agents and non-enrolled tax return preparers — often find themselves the subject of a civil audit or even worse a criminal investigation relating to their tax preparation work.
At Brown, PC, we have extensive experience representing tax preparers. Our founding attorney, Lawrence Brown, has handled these matters since 1992, and our team of lawyers has decades of combined experience in tax law. Many members of our team handled audits and criminal tax cases earlier in their careers as IRS agents. Their insights maximize our ability to succeed for our clients.
Minimizing Risk for Return Preparers in Texas and Across the U.S.
Tax return preparers can be held liable for a variety of actions or failures to act, including:
- Aiding and abetting the understatement of a tax liability
- Failure to comply with the due diligence requirements with respect to determining a taxpayer's eligibility for or amount of the earned income credit
- Disclosing or using any tax return information other than to prepare or assist in preparing the taxpayers return
- Failure to retain a completed copy of the return or a record of the taxpayer's name, identification number, taxable year and type of return prepared
- Failure to furnish a required taxpayer identification number
- Failure to furnish a copy of the tax return to the taxpayer
- Failure to sign a required return
If found liable for these types of violations, a return preparer can face heavy fines and other sanctions. The tax law professionals at Brown, PC work diligently to minimize penalties or help clients avoid them altogether. If you are a return preparer and have concerns, we encourage you to reach out to us as soon as possible. Our quick involvement in these matters greatly increases the likelihood of a positive outcome.
Contact a Texas Tax Return Preparer Lawyer
If you are the subject of a civil audit or an IRS criminal investigation, contact Brown, PC. Our main offices are centrally located in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas Metroplex, and we represent tax return preparers throughout the United States.
Call 888-870-0025 or contact our law firm online to arrange a confidential consultation with an experienced tax lawyer.Print this Page