Brown, PC Brown, PC Tax Practice Group 888.870.0025
Call for an initial consultation
Call 888.870.0025

Divorce and taxes: How is alimony treated for tax purposes?

There are several ways in which divorce can affect your taxes.

If you have children, one of the issues is who gets the tax exemption for dependent children. We discussed that a few months ago, in our October 10 post last year.

In this post, let's look at the question of alimony, which in Texas is called "spousal maintenance."

Alimony payments made to a former spouse can generally be deducted on your federal taxes. Payments to support a spouse that are made pursuant to a formal, written separation agreement are also generally deductible.

For the spouse who receives alimony or spousal support, the payments are considered taxable income. The income is taxable in the year it is received.

Logically, then, deductions for alimony payments and reported income from those payments should match up. One person deducts the payments while the other reports the income.

In practice, however, the gap between what is deducted for alimony and what is reported is remarkably large.

In 2014, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) look into this matter. TIGTA estimated the tax gap at an astounding $2.3 billion for the year it studied (2010).

How could this be? 

Well, one reason might be creative lawyering. A divorce agreement could be drafted in a way to state that even though periodic payments are being made to a former or separated spouse, they are not alimony.

This doesn't mean, however, that the parties are free to call payments anything they want. And the upshot of the TIGTA report is that the IRS is prepared to scrutinize returns involving alimony payments more closely than it did previously.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Print this Page
Email Us For A Response

Request A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

Brown, PC
500 Main Street
Suite 400
Fort Worth, TX 76102

Phone: 817-870-0025
Fax: 817-870-0515
Map & Directions