Experienced Defense Counsel for Attorneys, CPAs and Enrolled Agents in Federal Investigations and IRS OPR Cases in Texas
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) have been prioritizing enforcement of tax professionals’ legal duties in recent years. When these authorities uncover fraudulent tax shelters and other tax evasion schemes, they will often target not only the taxpayers involved, but also their attorneys, certified public accountants (CPAs) and IRS Enrolled Agents. These investigations can present substantial risks, including the risk of criminal prosecution, so a proactive and strategic defense is paramount.
The IRS Office of Professional Responsibility (IRS OPR) scrutinizes attorneys, CPAs and Enrolled Agents’ conduct in many cases as well. IRS OPR is responsible for overseeing tax professionals who handle federal tax matters on behalf of clients, and it has the authority to bar tax professionals from practicing before the IRS. Suspension or disbarment from practicing before the IRS can have dire consequences. Not only does it prohibit professionals from providing federal tax advice and representation, but it also effectively prevents them from affiliating with other professionals and firms practicing before the IRS—as professionals and firms may not “accept assistance” from someone who has been suspended or disbarred.
Matters We Handle for Licensed Tax Professionals in Texas
We handle all types of federal investigations and IRS OPR cases on behalf of attorneys, CPAs and IRS Enrolled Agents in Texas. This includes handling federal investigations and IRS OPR cases involving allegations of:
- Aiding and abetting general tax evasion and tax fraud
- Aiding and abetting nondisclosure of reportable transactions and assets (including offshore accounts)
- Filing frivolous returns (including taking an “unrealistic position” on a client’s return)
- Fraudulent Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and Employee Retention Credit (ERC) claims
- Promoting abusive tax shelters
While the penalties for some violations are relatively small (i.e., taking an “unrealistic position” on a client’s return can carry a fine ranging from $250 to $1,000), it is important that licensed tax professionals not simply pay the fine in order to move on. Accepting responsibility for certain violations can trigger an automatic referral to the IRS OPR—and this can have far greater consequences. Additionally, allegations of aiding and abetting, conspiracy to commit tax fraud, and other similar types of federal crimes can carry six-figure fines and federal imprisonment. As a result, an informed and strategic defense is essential in all cases.
Our Process for Defending Licensed Professionals in Federal Investigations and IRS OPR Cases
Our team of highly-experienced professional license defense attorneys represents other attorneys, CPAs and IRS Enrolled Agents in federal investigations and IRS OPR cases in Texas. If you are under investigation or facing scrutiny from IRS OPR, we can help you make informed decisions and execute an effective defense strategy. Our process for representing our professional clients in these matters involves:
Comprehensive Factual Investigation
In all cases, our representation starts with a comprehensive factual investigation. To defend you effectively, we need to know all of the relevant facts—both favorable and unfavorable. Once we know what we’re up against, then we can begin the process of determining what options you have available.
Legal Analysis of All Claims or Complaints
After gathering the facts, we will analyze all claims and complaints against you—both actual and potential. Different types of allegations (and potential allegations) present different risks and require different defense strategies. Federal investigations and IRS OPR complaints against attorneys and CPAs are unique in many respects, so an informed, strategic and nuanced approach is critical.
Defense Strategy Formulation
Once we have fully assessed your risks, then we can formulate your defense strategy. When facing an IRS or DOJ investigation or scrutiny from the IRS OPR, a comprehensive defense strategy is key. We take a structured approach to developing our clients’ defense strategies to ensure that we address all potential risks and maximize our clients’ chances of securing a favorable and unpublicized resolution.
Defense Strategy Execution
With a comprehensive defense strategy in place, it’s time to execute. We will execute your defense strategy as efficiently and proactively as possible. If we can secure a favorable resolution before your case goes to a hearing, we will. If we need to argue your case in court or before the IRS OPR, we will be fully prepared to lay out your defenses in a way that leaves no room for interpretation.
Our Other Defense Services for Licensed Professionals
Along with handling federal tax-related investigations and IRS OPR cases, we also provide other defense services for licensed professionals in Texas. If necessary, our attorneys can also assist you with the following:
- Voluntary Disclosure – Voluntary disclosure will be a necessary step for mitigating licensed professionals’ risk in some cases. If making a voluntary disclosure is in your best interests, we can advise you and communicate with the IRS’s Criminal Investigation division (IRS CI) on your behalf.
- Federal White-Collar Criminal Defense – We also represent select clients in other federal white-collar criminal defense matters. We have substantial experience helping clients respond to grand jury subpoenas and indictments targeting all types of federal white-collar crimes. This includes experience handling some of the highest-dollar federal criminal investigations in recent Texas history.
- Civil Litigation Defense – We maintain a selective civil litigation defense practice as well. By severely limiting the number of cases we take on at any one time, we ensure that we are able to devote the full weight of our firm’s resources to every matter we handle. If you are facing client litigation in relation to your federal investigation or IRS OPR case, we can assist as warranted.
- Strategic Communication – We also assist our professional license defense clients with strategic communication. Regardless of the veracity of the allegations against you, if these allegations become public, they can do immediate and long-term damage to your professional reputation and your business. We have close working relationships with top public relations and strategic communications firms that we leverage to protect our clients’ interests outside of their pending legal proceedings.
Within all of our areas of practice, we focus on representing high-profile and high-net-worth clients who have a lot to lose. As a result, our attorneys are comfortable handling extremely high-stakes cases, and we have a long track record of protecting our clients’ careers and financial interests in administrative, civil and criminal matters.
Why Choose Brown Tax, P.C. for Professional License Defense?
When you are facing a federal investigation or scrutiny from IRS OPR, you need to have unwavering confidence in your legal representation. So, why should you choose Brown Tax, P.C.? Here are just some of the reasons why attorneys, CPAs and IRS Enrolled Agents in Texas have trusted our attorneys for decades:
- Our Highly-Experienced Legal Team – Led by founder Lawrence Brown, our attorneys have decades of combined experience representing licensed professionals and other clients in high-stakes legal matters. Along with representing attorneys, CPAs, IRS Enrolled Agents and other professionals, we have successfully represented billionaire investors, professional athletes, Grammy award-winning musicians, and a wide range of other extremely high-profile clients.
- Our Specific Experience Representing Licensed Professionals – We focus on doing what we do best. We intentionally limit both the scope of our practice and the volume of clients we represent in order to ensure that we are able to provide the strongest possible defense representation.
- Our Focus on High-Stakes Legal Matters – When you have a lot to lose, you do not want to entrust your legal matters to attorneys who don’t understand or appreciate the gravity of your situation. At Brown, P.C., we know what you have at stake—because we have represented clients in your shoes many times before.
- Our Proactive, Strategic and Collaborative Approach – We take a proactive and strategic approach to protecting our clients by all means available. We also take a highly collaborative approach, both internally within our team and in working with our professional clients. When you choose Brown, P.C., you will feel confident in the course of your representation, and you will be able to get in touch 24/7.
- Our Results in Administrative, Civil and Criminal Matters – Above all, our results speak for themselves. From IRS OPR cases to federal criminal investigations involving hundreds of millions of dollars in potential exposure, we have a track record that few law firms of any size can match. If this is the caliber of legal representation you need, we invite you to contact us to discuss what we can do to help.
Highly Experienced Defense Counsel for Licensed Tax Professionals in Fort Worth, TX
So, how can we help you? If you need experienced, effective and unrelenting defense counsel for a federal investigation or IRS OPR case, we encourage you to contact us to learn more about our practice. If we’re a good fit, we can get to work defending you immediately. With offices in Fort Worth, we represent licensed professionals in Texas and in other states across the country.
Speak with a Federal Defense Lawyer at Brown, P.C.
As noted above, we limit our professional license defense practice to representing high-profile and high-net-worth clients who are facing disciplinary action and other substantial legal risks. If you think our firm might be right for you, we invite you to get in touch. To request a confidential consultation with a federal defense lawyer at Brown, P.C., please call 817-870-0025 or tell us how we can contact you online today.