Skip to Content

August 8, 2017


Avoid these three common errors when renewing your ITIN

Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) are numbers that are issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for those who are not able to get a social security number but still have tax obligations. Some of these numbers are up for renewal this year.

Is my ITIN up for renewal? Those with an ITIN with middle digits 70, 71, 72 or 80 and who anticipate a tax filing requirement in 2018 will likely need to renew.

How do I renew my number? The IRS states that renewal requires completion of Form W-7. The form can be mailed or an applicant can work with an approved Certified Acceptance Agent to complete the renewal process.

Those who need to renew can do so in person. This requires an appointment at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

What can I do to better ensure renewal goes smoothly? It is important to follow all instructions on the form. It can also help to avoid some of the more common mistakes. These include:

  • Filing without renewing. Filing tax paperwork without renewing the ITIN is not recommended. Although the return will be processed, the filer could lose certain exemptions and tax credits.
  • Missing information. Failing to include the reason for the reapplication or neglecting to include the foreign address on the form are two common issues that have caused problems in the application process in the past.
  • Forgetting paperwork. The renewal process requires inclusion of original identification documentation.

A failure to properly renew an ITIN can cause problems. This can be avoided by seeking legal counsel. An experienced attorney can review your situation and counsel you on the best course of action.